Seiten

29. Mai 2013

Sweet Potato Red Curry Bowl



Today I’ll start my post not talking about food, but comfort. You know, comfort is a great word and for me it means being hold tightly, and feeling save and full. Full of love and energy, but relaxed at the same time. Does that make  sense? During the last few weeks I have missed that feeling of comfort because I kept going and going and did not have the time to stop and recharge my batteries with comfort and love.
I am a pretty sensitive person when it comes to my inner feelings of completeness and satisfaction. Normally I am a pretty content and positive person but sometimes physical and emotional stress makes me tired. The kind of tired that makes you want to quit. And you know what? Today I “quit”. I went home from university, glued myself to the couch with my laptop and doing nothing but reading food blogs. The only thing I wanted to do was cook myself a meal that I had planned to make for over a week. I had all my ingredients sitting in the fridge for 7 days but a full schedule detered me from putting my plans into action. Hate when that happens.
Cooking keeps me sane and not having the time to do so saddens me. Food gives comfort and that’s why todays dish was just what I needed.

The recipe:
Curry is comfort food at its finest. Creamy, spicy sauce, studded with a ton of vegetables,  ladled over steaming hot Basmati rice.

              

I can go crazy over my curry bowls!
Especially when sweet potatoes are involved. It is an easy equasion: Sweetness and soft texture plus creamy coconut milk = melt-in-your-mouth-delisciousness.
If I haven’t made myself clear enough I should just admit that I ADORE sweet potatoes and try to find excuses to sneak them into my dishes. There you have it. Sweet potato addict. I guess there is no cure, but I am ok with that because look, it’s sweet potatoes! I mean, who am I?!
If you cannot find sweet potatoes where you life, you can probably use some kind of yellow squash (butternut, Hokkaido) instead. Green beans can also be replaced by snow peas, but I would add them together with the red pepper and scallions to keep them crunchy.
Enjoy!

                          

Sweet Potato Curry Bowl


Ingredients:
(Serves 4)

2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2x2cm cubes (approx. 675g)
1 eggplant, sliced and quartered
250g green beans, halved
2 small red peppers, chopped
4 scallions, cut into 4 cm pieces
1 large garlic clove, sliced
2 stalks lemon grass, crushed (only use the white part!)

1 Tbsp coconut oil, at room temperature
400 ml coconut milk
500 ml water
3-4 tbsp red curry paste
Salt

Lemon wedges
Cilantro

In a large pan heat 1 Tbsp coconut oil. Add garlic, sweet potato cubes, eggplant, green beans and lemon grass. Cover pan with a lid and cook vegetables on medium heat for 4 minutes. Then add the curry paste. Slightly roast it on the buttom of the pan and deglaze it with the water and coconut milk. Bring the liquid to a simmer and cook covered for 6-7 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender. Now add the scallions and chopped red pepper. Cook covered for an additional 5 minutes and season with salt to taste.
Serve immediately with Basmati rice and cilantro.


                      

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen